Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Warcraft Cookie Christmas Exchange!

Disciplinary Action hosted and arranged a cookie recipe exchange amoungst the Warcraft blogging community.  I love both Warcraft and cookies, but my blogging is meh at best - but that didn't stop me from putting my name in!

(Go here to see all the cookies we made! http://disciplinaryaction.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/warcookie-christmas-exchange-the-cookies/)


Just before she doled out the recipes via email I made a comment in twitter:




 Su-Li 

Crossing my fingers for a raisinless recipe in the . Raisins: ruining recipes and Christmases since time immemorial.




Then I checked my inbox and there is was:


Rum Raisin Sour Cream Cookies.


I had to chuckle at my luck.  Oh RNG gods - you so crazy!  Then I read on and the submitter acknowledged that raisins weren't to everyone's taste so they put in another recipe, Peppermint Munchies.


That is the best name for a cookie ever!


It's true that I don't like raisins and I would never purposely add them to anything. However, since I made a bit of a stink on Twitter regarding raisins I thought that I should at least give them a try.  Besides, my husband likes raisins and I like him a lot.




Just to give you proof that I actually bought raisins

I need to invest in more baking pans, and work on my "drop spoonfuls of dough" skill.
The dough tasted really good, by the way. 


These did taste very yummy.  It was a nice cakey and soft cookie and the raisins did carry the rum flavour throughout.   I will definitely keep this recipe on hand to make and maybe cut the amount of raisins in half and add some nuts or dried cranberries.


The next cookie was Peppermint Munchies. These are a nice sugar cookie with a cream cheese peppermint filling.






To make the cookies carry the Warcraft theme I set up a little WoW tree.  I even put in the Alliance, because well, it's Christmas.  Plus I know that they love cookies too.  And I secretly want them all to get super fat so they are too tired to destroy my butt in PvP.


Cookies, Warcraft and Hello Kitty - what else does a gal need?




I also renamed them! Rumsey Rum Raisin and Undercity Peppermint Munchies. (There is really a lack of things peppery and/or minty in WoW - all I could find were the Hallows End mints).  The recipe didn't call for the extra chocolate drizzle or candy sprinkles, but I felt they needed a little dressing up.


Many thanks to @Sebyth for sending me a pic her her Night Elf Rogue.  I've included the recipes below in case you would like to make them.


Rum Raisin Sour Cream Cookies
Sometimes the simplest cookies are the most delicious. These soft, plain cookies have a slightly crunchy, sugary coating and are wonderful dunked in hot chocolate.


Ingredients
-1/4 cup stick margarine or butter, softened
-3/4 cup sugar
-1 large egg
-1 tsp vanilla
-1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
-1 1/2 cups flour
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 cup raisins
-1/4 cup rum


1. Combine one cup of raisins with 1/4 cup each water and rum in a small saucepan. Simmer until raisins are plump and liquid has evaporated. Cool completely.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. In a large bowl, beat margarine and sugar until well combined - it will have the consistence of wet sand. Beat in egg and vanilla until smooth.
4. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add half the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, stirring just until combined. Gently stir in the sour cream and cooled raisins, and then the remaining flour mixture, stirring just until blended.
5. Drop spoonfuls of dough 2" apart onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until set but not yet golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.


Makes 2 dozen cookies.

Peppermint Munchies



Sugar cookies with a creamy peppermint center.


Prep: 35 mins Chill: 30 minutes Bake: 12 mins per batch Oven: 375






Ingredients


-Peppermint Filling (see below)


-3/4 cup butter, softened


-1 cup granulated sugar


-1 tsp baking powder


-1 egg


-1 tbsp milk


-1 tsp vanilla


-2 cups all-purpose flour


-2 tbsp coarse white and/or red sugar (for decorating)






Peppermint Filling


-3 oz softened cream cheese (I use light)


-2 tbsps powdered sugar


-2 tbsps finely crushed peppermint candies or candy canes


-1/4 tsp peppermint extract






1. Combine ingredients for peppermint filling in a bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Cover and chill for 30 minutes. (Clean the beaters of your mixer because you'll need them soon!)


2. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping bowl. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour.


3. Shape dough into 1-1/4 inch balls. Make an indentation in the center of each ball; place 1/2 teaspoon of the Peppermint Filling in each indentation. Shape dough around filling to enclose; roll dough in hands until smooth. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Dip the bottom of a glass in coarse sugar; flatten balls until 1/2 inch thick. (NB Baker's note: The recipe says to do this but it didn't work for me; so I flatten with just the glass and then sprinkle a bit of sugar on top of each.) Bake for 9-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack; cool. Makes about 32 cookies.






To store: Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, lovely blogg, and well written =) I will be sure to come back and read some more.
    Nice cookies =) Have a good day. / jeji

    ReplyDelete